Everywhere you look these days you see writers either loving or hating on NaNoWriMo, in its various forms. I genuinely think they don’t understand the true nature and idea behind why it exists. There are those who believe that it is ruining writing, well I can’t imagine anything further from the truth! So, here is my list of reasons to participate in NaNoWriMo in all its glorious forms!
- It lowers my expectations on myself! Ultimately it is all about getting the words down, on the page! So that means that I give myself permission to not always write perfectly, which gives me more creative freedom to explore and express ideas in ways I may otherwise never think of!
- It has taught me that no matter how busy life gets, we can always make the time for what matters to us! You may want to say, yeah but… Well I say, no wild YeahButz allowed! Do you want to know why? Ask me sometime about my first ever NaNo experience… while I was getting married (a do it yourself wedding with no help), and going to Mayo Clinic several times, not to mention a week long honeymoon, oh and did I mention said wife’s birthday! So, yes, it can be done, no matter how busy you might be!
- I have learned something new about how writing works for me! Like, I learned how to “outline”, at least so far as the format that seems to work alright for me! I also learned what a scene/chapter is! Oh sure I know what it is! but I learned how they work for me! These were big deals! And I always learn something new each time!
- It prevents writing from being this static environment! I can’t write alone. Strange I know right? But there it is. If I am not chatting with a couple friends, and occasionally bouncing ideas back and forth, I can just sit and stare at my work for hours!
- The last thing I am going to leave you with is this. It gives me a deadline! You know… an actual reason to get the words on the page. More than… yeah I want to do that! There are tons of other people also doing it, and I want to be in the winners circle at the end!
There you have it folks, just a few reasons why I love NaNoWriMo! I will continue to participate, until for some strange reason the well of stories in me dries up. Considering I have new ideas every week I am sure that will never happen!
What about you? Do you love it? Hate it? Swear by it? Tell me your story!